Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Ol' 'Dirty Harry' Shoots a Blank

Well, it had to end at some point. Mystic River (except for that tack-on ending) and Million Dollar Baby were excellent films in my opinion, and you begin to think that the man can do no wrong. So when I heard that Clint Eastwood and Paul 'Everywhere' Haggis were teaming up on a war film called 'Flags of Our Fathers", I assumed the best was in store.

I opened up 'Script Magazine' the other day and saw a piece about how Haggis, Spielberg, and Eastwood got together to discuss the script. Haggis thought that the book it was based on had way too much material to adapt and didn't think he could do it. Spielberg it seems was not impressed with his attitude about the project, but Eastwood vouched for Haggis to make it work.

Well...

In my opinion, Haggis was right... it didn't work. Good try, but something lacked in this film. There were a ton of characters, most of which I forgot about during the film, and I found myself feeling like 'when is this movie going to start?'; always a bad sign. Ryan Phillippe, a man who I have nothing against (but I continue to wonder why this guy still gets lead roles), as a lead character has zero presence. I definitely question his casting. I understand that there was a lot of information that had to be conveyed, but nothing stood out to me in this film. There was a lot of Saving Private Ryan-ish on-field stuff in here, but it's not even close to being as good.

I hope Mr. Haggis (a good ol' Canadian boy!) has something better up his sleeve than this one... You too Clint!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home